NE1: Driving Our City Forward
WHAT WE'VE DELIVERED >>
We’re celebrating 10 years of NE1 with a look back at how we’ve delivered a positive change for the city. Don’t just take our word for it - it’s all in the numbers! Check out some of our big hitters…
340,000 visitors per annum to events delivered by or supported by NE1
£3.2m spent on the Bigg Market project
£1.1m spent on NE1 Restaurant Week vouchers in 2018
600,000 NE1 Magazines published and delivered across the city & beyond every year
£839m additional spend between the hours of 5pm and 8pm since the launch of Alive After Five
£9.2m annual economic impact of Newcastle Pride, sponsored by NE1
5,000 boats moored on the Newcastle City Marina since its launch
872,000 visits to the Get into Newcastle website per year
5,500 calls from businesses to the NE1 Street Rangers per year
IN THE NEXT FIVE YEARS OUR PRIORITIES ARE TO >>
Help us keep the momentum going as Newcastle continues to grow over the next five years. We’ve got huge plans to continue the city's exciting evolution - check out some of our best and biggest ideas!
DEVELOP THE ICONIC QUAYSIDE…
• By working with property and business owners to develop a shared vision for the area, similar to those of other iconic cities including New York, Melbourne and Copenhagen.
• By maintaining and growing key Quayside areas such as: Quayside Seaside, Newcastle City Marina and the Quayside Relaxation Station.
TRANSFORM NEWCASTLE’S CHRISTMAS OFFERING…
• By feeding more festive fun into the city centre - with markets, cultural animation and impressive city dressing throughout the festive period.
GREEN OUR CITY…
• By introducing both permanent and temporary landscaping projects, to change with the seasons - including pocket parks and green spaces.
• By working on recycling in the city as a whole - reducing clutter, saving our businesses money and reducing emissions in the process.
• By working with public transport operators to better promote public transport in and around the city centre.
STAY ALIVE AFTER FIVE…
• By keeping up our free city centre parking initiative after 5pm, until at least March 2024.
• By widening the appeal of the city centre after dark - attracting more families and young people to NE1.
CONTINUE TO DELIVER EXCITING EVENTS…
• By developing our events programme and working with partners to secure new events and initiatives.
• By improving our established events including: Newcastle Restaurant Weeks, Chinese New Year, Newcastle Mela, Newcastle Pride, Screen on the Green and Newcastle Motor Show.
• By working with key players such as Newcastle City Council and Newcastle United, to support additional major sporting and music events at St
• By supporting cultural diversity within the city’s annual programme of events.
CELEBRATE OUR WORLD-CLASS HERITAGE…
• By continuing our work with property owners on further private sector investment in bringing the famous Bigg Market back to life.
• By working with partners to support further investment in the city’s historic core. This includes: The Cathedral, Castle Keep, Black Gate, Lit & Phil and Mining Institute.
GROW AS A DIGITAL CITY…
• By working with public and private sector partners to improve Newcastle’s digital infrastructure for people living, working and visiting the city.
Business owners, your ballot papers will have arrived - don't forget to cast your vote before 18 October! Here at NE1 HQ, we have BIG plans for the next five years! Help us make them happen.
You can read the full renewal document online at newcastlene1ltd.com