Alderman Fenwick's House
This house is one of the most important mercantile town houses in any city in the North of England.
Number 98 Pilgrim Street is one of the oldest buildings in Newcastle, built c.1670. Originally built as a merchant's house, it later took its name from Alderman Fenwick, who was Mayor of Newcastle in 1720. Later it became a coaching inn; The Queen's Head, where Charles Dickens once stayed, and later still the building was used for the Liberal Club. The building underwent extensive restoration in 1997, and is now offices.
With medieval origins, it occupies two burgage plots on the main route to the North and seems to have been substantially built in the mid-17th Century. The Oak stair, rising into the lantern tower to give access to the roof - a close relative of the famous 'black staircase' in Durham Castle - and the ceiling of the 'Great Room' are of this period.