Alive After Five: As Night Falls, Our City Comes Alive
It’s that time of year again. We’re leaving the house in darkness and the sun has set before we leave the office. But with all of the festive fun of NE1 on our doorstep, there’s no need to hibernate at home!
Our city is sparkling beneath its fairy lights and we’re going full force on all things festive with Alive After Five and NE1’s Christmas offering.
Time to get in on the hustle and bustle of Newcastle after five - whether it’s social hubs, pubs and comedy clubs, somewhere to get your culture fix, or a bit of city centre shopping.
With free parking after five, as well as late night shopping hours, you can check off your Christmas lists and hit the high streets after work, beating the busy weekend rush on the lead up to the big day! Take advantage of NE1’s seven free after 5pm car parks, which are all just a short walk to the welcoming warmth of Newcastle’s fantastic retail and leisure possibilities. Here’s how to brighten up the winter nights in Newcastle this winter…
• Go to the International Christmas Market for an array of goodies from festive food and gifts, to fashion and accessories.
• intu Eldon Square is the place to be if you want to warm up from the cold, while browsing the best seasonal buys. Why not while away the hours in desirable department stores including John Lewis and Debenhams?
• Soak up the spirit of Christmas in Newcastle with a stroll along Northumberland Street. Pick up perfect presents at the many high street stalls, give a bit of love to our local independents and get a glance of this year’s Fenwick Christmas Window. What’s more? Little ones can let off some mid-shopping steam on the festive fairground rides!
• intu Eldon Square’s Grey's Quarter is the place to be for a post-shopping feast. Think all your foodie favourites from Bella Italia to Tapas Revolution.
• Our friends at Carluccio's have vamped up their interiors. Check it out this Christmas for breakfast bites, deli delights, drinks and dinner. A perfect spot for post-shopping supper.
• Swing by STACK for sips, scran and socialising - with a seasonal twist! With stacks of foodie outlets and Hadrian’s Tipi to help you spread festive cheer, it’s sure to get you in the Christmas spirit!
• Take some time out at Tyneside Cinema after dark this winter. Grab your pals and a bag of popcorn and check out some of its many seasonal screenings.
• Let off some steam and keep the little ones entertained this winter with a visit to the Life Science Centre’s Ice Skating Rink (opening 10 November) before exploring the new Christmas Village at Times Square (opening 9 November)!
Get Alive After Five in Newcastle this winter - there's no better place to be! Let us know what you get upto on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook! And don't forget to pick up a copy of our Get Into Newcastle magazine where we guide you through all the best bits on a fortnightly basis...